Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Sage guest towels

After finishing a set of leno curtains, I needed a palate cleanser. Some plain weave towels sounded perfect. However, this project was my first with cotolin, my first with 8/2 yarn, my first with both warp and weft doubled. Some new experiences, to say the least.


Pattern: None
Weave structure: Plain weave
Loom: Ashford 24" rigid heddle
Warp: Maurice Brassard et Fils Inc. 8/2 Cotolin Organic, in 'Sage', doubled
Weft: Maurice Brassard et Fils Inc. 8/2 Cotolin Organic, in 'Sage', doubled
EPI/PPI: 12.5/10ish
Ends: 205
Loom size: 27.5"x15.5" for one towel or the other
Finished size: 24.5"x14" for one towel, 23"x14" for the other towel


One problem with weaving two of anything on a loom is maintaining an even beat so that they come out the same length. I didn't have an adequate tape measure nor did I pay too much attention to the one I did have, but I *thought* I kept an accurate count of picks. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. The two towels came out a bit different in length.


Using doubled yarn was in itself a bit challenging but definitely doable. I'm glad I have a niddy noddy, a swift, and a ball winder to help when it came time to load the shuttle. What I did not like was the wrinkly fabric that came out of the dryer. I made some towels with cotton before that were relatively wrinkle-free, so I'm guessing the wrinkles are caused by the linen content of cotolin.


Recently, weavers have been participating in an annual towel exchange. Of course, theirs are masterpieces, especially compared to my early efforts. However, I find myself getting hooked on weaving towels.

No comments: