Thursday, June 23, 2022

Leno and Brooks Bouquet sampler

I wanted to weave some curtains, but couldn't decide whether to make them using leno or Brooks bouquet. To help me make up my mind, I created a sampler of both, using the Ashford SampleIt loom with a 10-dent heddle, out of 3/2 mercerized cotton. For some reason, I photographed the sections in the reverse order than I wove them in, but I'm sure you will get the idea.

Doup leno without doups
Doup leno
Leno - Jane (Patrick) variation
Cheater bouquets without ties
Cheater bouquets
Ladder hemstitch - 2 warps
Ladder hemstitch - 4 warps
Brooks bouquet staggered over Brooks bouquet
Leno 2x2 continuous over Leno 2x2
Leno 1x1 continuous over Leno 1x1
Put it all together

In the end, I used the doup leno without the doups for my bathroom curtains. Doups are basically string heddles, and in this instance, I found them more trouble than they were worth. I also forgot to enter this project into Ravelry (now rectified) and didn't take very good notes, but was able to figure out what was what based on a fiber "log" I keep. I'm still thinking of using Brooks bouquet for some kitchen curtains, and my SO likes the ladder stitch patterns, so this sampler will come in handy for several projects.

(References: Inventive Weaving on a Little Loom, by Syne Mitchell, and The Weaver's Idea Book, by Jane Patrick.)

No comments: