Sunday, December 10, 2023

Grateful for modern medicine

This past week I saw my shoulder surgeon for a follow-up exam. The x-rays look good, and he seemed happy with my strength and flexibility. He asked me how I've been using my shoulder. I said, Yoga, even downward dog, but the simple answer is, For almost everything.

I can reach tall shelves, steer the riding lawn mower, push a vacuum cleaner, flip the mattress on my bed. I can lift 40 pounds of dog food, scrub the shower, chase down cobwebs, knead dough. I can even cross my arms, something I have not been able to do for years. Everything is easier with two functioning, painfree shoulders.

If I had not had my hip replaced, I would probably be in a wheelchair by now, as the hip socket was deteriorating. If I were in a wheelchair, my shoulders would prevent me from being able to get in and out of it on my own. I would be horribly incapacitated and completely dependent on others.

Once in a while, someone asks me if the replacement surgeries were worth it. Oh, YEAH. The healing period is a bit rough, but given enough time and physical therapy, the results are *wonderful*. Not a day goes by that I am not grateful for living in a time when bad joints can be fixed.

Knitting: I finished the jumbo socks for my son; separate post to follow. The merino-silk-tencil cowl is nearing completion as well.


Spinning: I'm in the midst of color #2 of the three-color braid of roving.

My calendar is looking pretty clear for the rest of this month (xmas not withstanding) and all of January. Winter is a good time to hunker down with fiber projects. And if it snows enough, I may even go cross country skiing.

No comments: