Sunday, December 31, 2023

Goals for 2024

The new year is one of my favorite times of the year. When I worked, I would try to save some vacation for the week between xmas and New Year's Day, to put things in order (especially paper - whatever happened to our paperless society?!?) Now I'm permanently "on vacation" but I still like the idea of a fresh start.

I frequently mention how much fiber I have and how I don't need more. Sticking to a goal of not buying any roving or yarn for at least this year feels doable... if I can refrain from browsing the offerings at the Little Shop of Spinning when we have spin-ins there.

There are also a lot of UFOs around here. The yarn of the ones I know I will never finish could be recycled. For 2024, I would like to complete a self-designed poncho I started in 2015. The bulk of the knitting is done - I just need to do the finishing.

Dyeing has fallen by the wayside. In the past, I dyed yarn, but there is an embarrassing amount of undyed roving in my to-be-spun cupboard. I'd like to get that dyed, one way or another.

So, I have three goals for 2024:
  1. Buy no fiber this year
  2. Finish the poncho
  3. Dye roving
That feels doable.

Knitting: The ends of the Lempi sweater all woven in! It took about four hours, as each stripe had two ends. (Note to self: No more striped sweaters!) Now I just need to add pockets and buttons.


Spinning: Still on the orange portion of the current roving mix. Since I plan to 3-ply this yarn, I'm spinning fine thread. Fine spinning takes a l-o-n-g time.

According to placemats in Chinese restaurants, I was born in the year of the dragon. Next year (tomorrow!) a new year of the dragon starts. Recently I read that it will be a year of bad luck for all us dragons. We'll see, but I'm hoping not!

No comments: