Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Bad Knitting Mojo

With the recent drop in temperatures, I decided to wear my new sucks socks with Birkenstocks, and I discovered that, not only do the socks look huge, they are huge. Even after a trip through the washer and dryer, by the end of the day, they were scrunched down around my ankles. I'm half tempted to frog them, but I hate to mangle the yarn any more than I already have. Maybe they will fit my son's size 13 feet. Or maybe I will develop edema. If neither of those ideas work, the yarn may become a shawl.

And then there is the lacy top. My plan to thread a lifeline every 12 rows was defeated by a major snafu in - you guessed it - row 12. I set it aside to marinate, but I think I will have to frog. I keep putting it off.

And then there is the mango baby hoodie whose construction has not progressed beyond that first sleeve, which I did over, and it does look better, but I'm not quite satisfied.

And then there are the patches I've been knitting for a charity blanket, the patches I can't knit to gauge, no matter how small the needles, the patches from yarn that is not from the same dye lot. The group is meeting next week. At least I have a few preemie caps to contribute.

And then today I read several blogs, the writers of which all seemed to be at BEA. It was like reading about a party I was not invited to, a party I would very much like to be invited to. Who am I kidding? I am dying to be invited to that kind of party! The only catch is you have to actually write a book and be getting it published to be invited. Two giant hurdles. Even though last week my fortune cookie fortune said, "You will become an accomplished writer," I can barely keep this blog up-to-date.

On the plus side, I started another pair of socks (why do I persist?!?), anklets out of SWTC TOFUtsies. I originally intended to use their bamboo yarn and knitted up a swatch, but it was the previous incarnation of bamboo yarn (it has since been redesigned) and it seems more conducive to exfoliating washcloths than socks. But I tell ya, anklets are definitely the way to go: 16 rows of ribbing, 16 rows of stockinette, and you're already into the heel.

No comments: