Thursday, February 05, 2015

Looks like handknit

Being a knitter, I am not shy about asking perfect strangers if they knit the scarf, hat, mittens they are wearing. Were I to run into Wendell Berry, I would ask him point blank, Who knit your sweater? Doesn't it look comfortable and warm?

Source: Inside Higher Ed

I don't know Berry personally, but sometimes I feel like I do, having witnessed a debate in the '70's between him and Secretary of Agriculture Earl Butz, plus I am a fan of his writing and his causes. I first spotted him with this sweater in the author photo on the jacket of his latest release, A Place in Time: Twenty Stories of the Port William Membership. If you are so inclined, I recommend this book as one to savor for the lyrical prose, the depth of characterization, and the portraits of the residents so lovingly described.

No comments: