Friday, January 29, 2016

Last pair of xmas socks

My SO is always understanding when his xmas socks are the last to be finished. And usually that finish date is after xmas, sometimes soon, sometimes far after. I started these xmas eve day, and now over a month has passed and I am just now getting them finished. It's not like they are the only WIP on the coffee table.


Pattern: Short-row heel and toe basic sock, by Wendy D. Johnson
Yarn: SSYC Poste Yarn, Striping, in 'Island of Misfit Toys' and SSYC Simply Sock Yarn in 'Silver Lining'
Needles: US1
Modifications: None really, other than to knit the toe and heel in contrasting yarn, as self-striping yarn does not work well with short rows.


One of my sock-knitting techniques that has evolved over time is to make the leg about as long as the foot, when folded in half. Otherwise, the recipient complains that the leg is too short. Sometimes longer legs means extra yarn, which in this case takes the form of contrasting heels and toes.


I'm pleased with my efforts to match stripes. This yarn makes it easy, as the length of the color runs is very consistent.


I shouldn't say these are the last of the xmas socks; they are the last of the xmas *gift* socks. I have two more colorways of the Poste Yarn, to knit socks for moi. After all, we can't let everyone else have all the fun socks.

No comments: