I started these mittens over a year ago, reached the point where all that remained was to knit the second thumb, and stopped. If memory serves me (a big IF these days), I struggled through the first thumb, then there was a tear in the fabric of the space-time continuum. Suddenly, almost fifteen months had passed. What possessed me to finally finish these? Your guess is as good as mine.
But finish them I did, and today, when the temps were in the single digits and the wind chill WAY below zero, was I glad. That wind chill did not penetrate the fabric AT ALL. Me thinks all future mittens will be double knit, one way or another. (Except the current pair I am working on for g'daughter - one is done and I'm not redoing it.)
Pattern: The Red and the Black, by Laura Ricketts
Yarn: Cascade 220, in gray and black (colorway numbers unknown - this was leftover yarn)
Modifications: Not intentionally. The two thumbs do not match, nor are they the same length. Thumb #1 is not according to the pattern, and I chose not to reknit it. I did reknit thumb #2 and still it came out the wrong length. Wabi sabi.
These mittens were my first (and not very colorful) foray into colorwork. I am particularly proud of the floats (although I have to be careful not to snag them with a thumb nail). I assume the mitts will felt a bit with use, and then they will be perfect.