Tuesday, July 18, 2017

A little road trip

I bought a new car and wanted to take it on a long enough trip to test out some of the features. And so my SO and I traveled down to Decatur for their sculpture tour, then bopped over to Bluffton to view a yarn bombing. I can't find much info about this particular event, but a lot of hookers crocheted a lot of yarn to make this happen.


I admit I don't think much of yarn bombing - it seems like a waste of perfectly good yarn. Some of these objects were made with cotton yarn, some with what I am guessing is acrylic or an acrylic blend. But at least one was of felted wool.


I used to crochet - a lot - mostly afghans, so I recognized most of the stitches and patterns, particular granny squares.


But some were a puzzlement. Is this crochet or macrame?


Almost nothing was safe from yarn, including the supports for hoops. If it was roundish, it might get bombed.


In the past, when I imagined yarn bombing, I pictured a bunch of knitters standing by a tree or pole, knitting in situ. From inspecting these works, it was apparent the crocheting occurred elsewhere, then the pieces wrapped around their intended target.


All this yarn bombing is at Washington Park (310 E Ohio) in Bluffton, Indiana, and is slated to continue through August. If you are in the neighborhood, be sure to stop by.


While I doubt I will become a yarn bomber, seeing a display such as this expands my ideas for just what one can do with yarn beyond socks and sweaters. It might be nice to look out my window on a dreary winter day and see a splash of color in the garden.

2 comments:

Mereknits said...

I think yarn bombing is really neat. I love all the decorations in the park. I think it brings awareness to knitting and crochet. That mandala is crocheted and looks like it took a long time. Glad you enjoyed the visit. Hope you are loving you new car.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I think some yarn bombing is kinda neat, but at the same time a big waste. though, I kind of like that basketball net.