Saturday, December 14, 2019

Two more days

Two days from now I should be feeling... different. The hip pain should be gone, replaced by surgery pain and hopefully some good drugs. I've been a good patient, following all the rules and doing my exercises, etc. My general philosophy is "Hope for the best, plan for the worst" but when I think that things could get worse instead of better, I start sobbing. So best not to think like that!

Knitting: Still plowing ahead on the L-Bag. The shaping part is longer than I realized, but at least the stitch counts are still okay.
Spinning: Still spinning that luscious light gray Shetland top. The wool looks almost white but once it is spun and plied, it looks very gray. I plan to overdye it... with purple?
Weaving: Struggling a bit with the online weaving class, partly because I don't have the same equipment, partly because I don't have a good work area set up where I can view the videos AND work on the loom. My SO moved a table into my studio where the light is better, so hopefully that will help.
Needle felting: My granddaughter and I tried using my drum carder to blend some of the needle felting wool to create a yellow green for Dill's skin, BUT the fibers are so short they pilled a lot. Also, we are not very satisfied with the color. I am going to order some in the right color from Living Felt. While looking at their web site, I noticed some 2-D needle felting kits. I think one of those will be finding its way here as well.

I've been ruminating on how bad habits are broken and good ones made. It comes down to friction. To erase a bad habit, one increases the friction. For example, if you want to cut down on junk food, make a "rule" that it may be eaten but only if it is homemade (by you, of course). The opposite applies to good habits: reduce the friction. When I am done spinning for the day, I make sure the wheel is set up so that the next time, all I have to do is sit down and start; that has worked well for me. One bad habit I would like to erase is how I tend to get out a project to work on, then leave it out until pretty soon all the horizontal surfaces in my living areas are cluttered with half finished projects. A corollary to this bad habit is the necessity for the projects to be easily accessible in order to continue to work on them. THAT will take some organization!

3 comments:

Mereknits said...

I wish you the very best with your surgery. Hope it all goes perfectly.

kayT said...

Wishing you good luck for your surgery. When I had my knee done the doctor told me I might eventually need a hip, but not to worry as hips are easier than knees. Well, my knee was a piece of cake! Then, a friend of mine had a hip done and she said she had really no pain at all. So: I am confident you will be happy and rid of your current pain.

I like your idea for changing habits with friction. Seems very reasonable and I think I will try it. Thanks.

ErinFromIowa said...

Sending positive thoughts for a smooth recovery. 🍀🌞
I do the the friction thing with bread products. I don't purchase them. However, I may have them homemade, by me, anytime I wish. I make the dough in my 1.5 lb bread machine, form it on the counter and bake it in the oven. Makes the process really easy. Still, I don't fire it up that often. Main objective achieved, no internal deprivation struggle. Win!