Friday, January 10, 2020

Dill is done

In case you don't have a YouTube-obsessed kid in your life, you might not know that Pickle the dinosaur is the hottest item around. My granddaughter just HAD to have one, but of course they were sold out. When I saw the picture, I said I could make that. "Noooo, Grandma, you have to be able to sew and it's made of plush!" Well, I could needle felt one. "But Pickle comes with a birth certificate and a tee shirt." Well, so what? I can still make one.


I thought maybe the granddaughter had forgotten about what I said, but the next time she came to my house, she asked about the dino who came to be known as Dill, Pickle's little sister. I tried to get her interested in helping more with the needle felting, but she just doesn't have the patience for crafts yet.


Initially, the granddaughter was a bit obsessed with Dill looking exactly like Pickle. But once I finished the body and added the green "skin", she took over, adding embellishments like a scarf and boots.


I tidied the embellishments a bit, plus added a flower on one side of Dill's rump, but otherwise, the extra bits were from the granddaughter. She is quite enamored with Dill, even though Pickle is now pre-ordered for a March delivery.


Last night I took Dill to the weavers guild meeting (there is a side group working on 2-D needle felting). The response was "AWWWWW!" I'll take Dill to the spinners guild meeting so my needle felting instructor can see what I have wrought. Then Dill will go home with the granddaughter - and hopefully stay out of the paws of her dogs.