Saturday, May 14, 2022

I spun and spun and spun some more

Yesterday morning I worked my shift at the Salomon Farm Fiber Fest, for the spinning guild. I can't recall the last time I attended this fiber fest, so it felt a bit new to me, plus I think it was downsized? Anyway, I arrived early enough to help set up, then parked my butt in a very uncomfortable folding chair, and spun and spun and spun.

Natural dyeing display

Besides me and my wheel, there were several volunteers showing kids how to hand card fleece and spin it into yarn using a spindle. Since it was a Friday, the clientele was mostly home school kids of all ages, and their parents, although there were a few adults without children as well.

Sheep breeds and flax info

I didn't have a spiel prepared, but after a while I developed a patter about what I was doing. I also answered random questions about the displays. In the future I think it would be helpful to have a volunteer to "man" the displays, to answer questions and point out exactly what they are looking at (like the live silk worms).

We lost the F's somewhere along the way

At lunchtime, I quit for the day, but then had to visit the other displays. The weaving guild was there, as well as quilters, a flax demonstrator, a goose quill demonstrator, a knitting guild with various knitting machines, etc. Many of the demonstrators are involved in multiple guilds, which explains why it is so hard to find volunteers to work the festival. And it also explained why I was still there two hours later, because I had to talk to everybody.

Silk display, including live worms

Besides the demonstration area, there were vendors. I took a quick tour but managed to get out of there without buying any fiber. In fact, I got rid of two of the fleeces in the garage, as someone needs dirty fleeces to test some machinery that will turn waste wool into something for gardening? I didn't catch exactly what the purpose was, but was happy to provide some raw material for the effort. Those fleeces were free and have been weighing on my mind. I felt I should process them or have them processed, but the one free fleece I did clean and card turned out to be of poor quality. I didn't want to spend a lot of time and/or money on something that might be a disappointment. I still have a Jacob fleece to play with; I purchased it locally and trust the provider.

Knitting: I finished the cowl; separate post to follow. The Habitation throw is out of time-out; apparently, I just can't count.
Spinning: See above.
Weaving: I started warping the Ashford 24" rigid heddle for some waffle weave towels.

A common weaving problem is measuring one's work as one goes along; dressmaker measuring tapes are usually too short. One solution is to make one's own paper tapes, which I did last week. It was a bit tedious, but now I have a collection of tapes that are over 12 feet long.

I used some kraft paper that came as padding in a package, not realizing that there were perforations every 8 or 9 inches. So besides all the measuring and marking and cutting, there was Scotch taping as well. In the future, if I need to repeat this task, I'll buy some kraft paper.

No comments: