Sunday, September 18, 2022

Vacation is over

My SO and I spent the past week in the Hudson Valley, our first major vacation in several years. We stayed at a lovely AirBnB in Newburgh and visited Dia Beacon and Storm King, as well as the town of New Paltz. I decided to make a total vacation of our time away, didn't even take any knitting. But now I'm back and ready to roll (almost).

An upcoming event that I am in charge of is celebrating Spinning and Weaving Week by spinning and weaving at the main branch of the Allen County Public Library. The spinning guild has done this before, but this will be the first time the weaving guild participates. I missed last week's spinning guild meeting, but watched it the next day on FB. OMG - the misinformation! I erroneously thought I would not need to provide detailed information about the event, but I was wrong, wrong, wrong. Fortunately, there is time for corrections.

Why is this event a big deal? Both guilds have suffered a loss of membership and participation over the course of the pandemic. Both guilds want to raise their profiles in the community, to attract new members. The spinning guild has a presence in several reinactment events that often require period costume, but the art of spinning then looks like some outdated craft from the "good ol' days". The library event provides both guilds with the opportunity to update their images.

Even though I eschewed fiber while on vacation, I did pick up some inspiration from the decor of our AirBnB.




Now I am going to take the rest of the day to finish recovering from our vacation. Have a restful week.

No comments: