Saturday, August 12, 2023

Exposed!

Today is the reception for the weavers guild exhibit at the Krull Gallery in the Allen County Public Library. Alas, I am not attending. A couple of days ago, I was exposed to Covid. I feel fine (except for some post-nasal drip that is common this time of year), but decided I did not want to take the chance of spreading the cooties.

The program at Tuesday night's spinning guild meeting was about felting, both dry (needle) and wet. I took a couple of needle felting classes from the woman who demonstrated at the meeting, but she has some new tricks up her sleeve, including an electric needling device that really speeds up the process. They are available on Etsy, if you are interested.

The wet felting demo involved bubble wrap, coarse roving, a whole, unwashed fleece, and tulle, all layered and squirted with Dawn and soaked with hot water, then wrapped around a pool noodle. This bundle is rolled back and forth, opened and repositioned and wet some more, then rolled some more, etc. The end result is a small fleecy rug.

Knitting: I ripped out the tops of the two original socks, skeined them on a niddy noddy, soaked them for 20 minutes in warm water, and they still smelled like perfume. I just passed the point of inserting waste yarn to hold a spot for the pockets on the Lempi sweater; I tried it on to check the lenghth - it will come down to my fingertips, practically a sweater dress.

My local Kroger sells clothing, and while passing by that section the other day, I saw this sweater:


What a clever idea for creating a light-weight garment, I thought to myself, especially when one doesn't have enough yarn for a full-blown sweater. I'm tucking this concept away for a future project.

No comments: