Friday, March 08, 2024

Bryana Bibbs exhibition

We made it to the Bryana Bibbs exhibition at the Chesterton Art Center before it ended. I wish we could have attended the artist's lecture earlier in the month, but it was not meant to be. From viewing these pieces, I assumed they were made on a frame loom of some type, but actually she weaves on a floor loom. Lots of ideas here.


Her use of different materials intrigued me. Above, she included unspun roving. The following two incorporate sisal.



Most of the yarn is handspun. This piece includes pills or nupps.


There is some nylon netting like one would find in a scrubby in this piece.



Yarn isn't the only material used. Here she is using cloth such as one would use in a rag rug.



And tightly plied coils add a bit of playfulness.


I tend to be a "rule follower" and stick to more traditional weaving for the most part. But I would like to break away from that mindset. This exhibition was quite inspiring!

No comments: