Saturday, May 15, 2021

Divide and conquer

When I first learned to spin, I asked my instructor how much yarn to spin on each spool for later plying. Her answer was rather vague - about three-quarters full. The more I spin, the more useless I have found that suggestion. What I do now is weigh the roving I plan to spin (using a kitchen scale), then divide it in half or thirds, depending on how many plies I am planning. So a 100g ball of roving becomes either two 50g balls or three 33g balls.

I don't pre-draft by elongating the roving, as I invariably end up with thick and thin roving. Instead, if I think I need to thin out the roving, I divide the roving lengthwise.

Then I spin each sub-ballsworth (is that a word?) on a separate spool. When I ply, I invariably run out of one spool before the other(s). If two-plying, I can just wind the remaining single into a center-pull ball and ply that from either end. Similarly, I can three-ply from a center-pull ball and the remaining spool.

When spinning large amounts, like the current red Tunis, when I run out of yarn on one spool, I pick up the next ball, divide it, and start spinning on the empty spool, then I spin additional roving on the non-empty spools.

I hope that explanation makes sense.

Spinning: Red Tunis. Need I say more? I am on the third spool of the first ball of roving.
Weaving: I put on my big girl panties and dragged out the sewing machine to hem the dish cloths and the towels. The dish cloths have been through the wash already (post to follow}; the towels were late to the dance, so will be washed next week.


The CDC now says the fully vaccinated no longer need to wear masks. Yet when I ran errands yesterday, every place I went, masks were still required. I'm okay with that because how do we know whether someone is fully vaccinated? You can't ask - medical info is private. My county is about 40% fully vaccinated, not enough for herd immunity. We are not out of the woods yet.

Yesterday I received another round of cortisone shots for my shoulders. There is a numbing agent included in the shot, so for a day or two, most of the pain is gone. Then it returns until the cortisone kicks in after a few more days. So today is relatively painfree. Sometimes I worry that I am being a wimp about the pain, but the PA who administered the injections told me the surgeon described my arthritis as SEVERE (all caps) in my chart, which he had never seen before.

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

Those shots are hard but I hope they kick in soon and you feel a lot of relief. Stay safe.