Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Snow Day

This is a first. Not only are schools and government offices closed, but they sent us home from work. I thought about cleaning out a closet or mopping the kitchen floor, but that Fat-Bottom Bag was calling to me: I'm almost done - you can finish me today - it won't take long.

This pattern from Stitch 'n Bitch Happy Hooker does work up quickly, once one gets past the first row (check the errata) and once one's hands become accustomed to the cramp-inducing herringbone half-double crochet stitch and once one remembers to do the hhdc instead of a hdc (a lot of the Taupe Beast was in hdc).

Yesterday I came within two rows of being done when I ran out of yarn. What to do? Should I buy a third skein of Lion Suede? (For two short rows?!?) Should I frog and try a smaller crochet hook? (The size-I felt small enough.) Should I frog partway and eliminate two of the long midsection rows? I decided to sleep on it.

Today, with a suddenly free day ahead of me, I decided on option three. By noon, I had finished the body and was ready for the handle flaps. After lunch, I added the flaps and handles. After a nap, I removed the handles and put them on again. Then I decided to make an i-cord with a contrasting color of Lion Suede; abandoned that effort because I didn't like the color. Then I decided to make an i-cord of green Plymouth Yarn Encore worsted; I threaded that onto the bag below the handles. Then I decided, with the wintery weather outside, to create a bit of spring inside and make a flower. After perusing my Pattern-a-Day Knitting Calendar, Stitch 'n Bitch, SnB Nation, and SnB Happy Hooker, I chose the 5-petal flower from the Head Huggers pattern in SnB Nation. Creating that little red flower from more Encore worsted took two tries. Stitching something yellow into the center took about an hour because I kept undoing and redoing it. Finally, I decided less is more.



So, now it is after 6pm and I somehow managed to spend the whole day finishing up a simple project. And I'm not sure I'm finished. Should I line the bag? Maybe a daisy would be better than the red flower. I could make some leaves to add to the i-cord to make it more stemlike. That green doesn't really stand out.

Hmmm. I think I'll sleep on it.

No comments: