Sunday, March 04, 2007

My First Sweater


This is a sweater I made for my father in the late 70's, before I had kids. On a recent visit, Dad was decluttering his house and encouraged us to take stuff we wanted. Not wanting the sweater to end up in the Goodwill (not that that would be a bad thing, I just wanted it back), I asked if he still had it. He said, "Sure. I don't wear it anymore. Do you want it?" Well, yeah.



Looking at it now, I am amazed that I had the chutzpah to even contemplate such a project. I don't remember how I learned to knit (self-taught?) and I don't remember knitting anything else besides cotton dishcloths, but for some reason I thought this sweater was within my abilities. It is mostly reverse stockingnet, with ribbed cuffs and bottom band and collar. Cables run up the front and around the shoulders. Not knowing any better, I whip stitched the seams.



If I remember correctly, this was supposed to be a Christmas gift but it wasn't quite done, so I pulled out the pieces so we could test the fit. I do remember the look on Dad's face when he saw it. Priceless.



The tunic length and shawl collar are back in style now, so I wear it on occassion. It is incredibly warm. Even though it is made of Coats and Clark Red Heart acrylic, Dad had stored it in mothballs, so it smells faintly of camphor. He wore it through the oil crisis, to keep warm in the evenings. I hope it warmed his heart as well.

2 comments:

SoapDoc said...

Wow! What a gorgeous sweater! You did a great job and it is SO stylish too! I would wear it too! Don't blame you one bit for wanting it back :)

Might I ask, you said "Not knowing any better, I whip stitched it", I am knitting a baby sweater now and that is what I was planning for the seams. May I ask, what method would you use to close now, please? This is my first, but I want it to look as professional as possible!

Again, great job!

Dina said...

Knitting Addict,

Try the Mattress Stitch, it's invisible and it's really easy.