Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Trouble with Socks

The trouble with socks is you can't knit just one. Unlike potato chips, it's not that you can't stop at one because they are so irresistable (which I find they are). Rather, it is because one sock is not much use except for hanging on the mantle at xmas time.



This subject came up at the last basic sock class. The instructor's strategy is to start both socks at the same time, using two sets of needles, and alternate working on each. A mother and daughter in the class wished they had picked out the same yarn, as then they would have a complete pair between them. I've read about knitting two socks at once on circular needles, but haven't investigated this method as I have yet to complete my first pair.



Prior to the last class session, my co-worker and classmate suggested knitting up to the kitchener stitch at the end of the toe beforehand. I agreed this was a good idea. In fact, I deemed it such a good idea that I did the same for the Magic Stripes sock. Because of my foresight, I had the opportunity to practice the kitchener stitch twice, although once you know what to do, it's not all that difficult (like most things).



However, I continue to be an idiot unmindful (see previous installment of the sock story). I started sock #2 of the Ann Norling pattern, advanced several inches into the leg, then spied a clutch of errors about five rounds back. I set it aside and knitted several inches of the Magic Stripes sock #2. Today I picked up the Ann Norling again, tried to correct the mistakes without frogging, gave up, frogged, picked up stitches, tinked another round, and reknit all the lost rows. (I have done this enough now that it is getting easier if not less frustrating.) Then I picked up Magic Stripes sock #2 again and discovered I had cast on the wrong number of stitches. I frogged again. *sigh*



I don't know why I didn't notice the miscounted cast on when I divided the stitches among the DPNs, but I suspect I suffered from multiple-sock-knitting confusion. The Ann Norling uses 2x2 ribbing, the Magic Stripes 1x1. AN casts on 64, which translates to 16 stitches per needle; MS casts on 56, or 14 stitches per needle. There are other differences as well, so maybe I should finish one before the other, just to be on the safe side.

No comments: