Wednesday, August 01, 2007

JIT Stash

Many knitters and crocheters (and sewers) have the habit of buying more yarn (and material) than they can ever hope to knit or crochet (or sew) in a lifetime. I found myself heading down that path, but I am not a natural hoarder nor am I a collector. Also, I live in a small house and I get claustrophobic when the walls close in, even if they are walls of yarn.

So I make up stash rules, like a yarn purchase must be for a particular project. But what about sock yarn? One hundred-gram skein or two 50-grammers will make a pair of socks, and a pair of socks is a project, right? Never mind that I currently have enough yarn for at least 5 pairs of socks. Maybe that is why I feel compelled to always have a sock project going, so I can use up the current sock stash and buy some more.

Several times I have visited an online source of sock yarn, loaded up my virtual shopping cart (it's all on sale! except that gorgeous cherry red), then stopped short of completing the order. Must Use Stash is my mantra, because it doesn't take much stretching of the stash rule before I'm buying yarn like it will never be available ever again.

But even though there are plenty of non-sock projects in the queue, I nearly broke down when I came across this shawl. I downloaded the pattern and filed it with the six million other patterns I have downloaded, and I went to a website where they sold the yarn in smaller-than-one-pound-spools and I started filling that shopping cart... BUT all the colors I needed were not available, which causes a stutter in the process, enough of a stutter that I did not complete the transaction.

While taking deep, gulping cleansing breaths, I calmed myself by thinking how that shawl will make a nice winter project.

So I'd better finish up everything else by then!

3 comments:

Qutecowgirl said...

WOW I wish I could do that! I usually have second thought AFTER I finish ordering.=).


BTW- i was thinking of socks for the game.


Go Mets!

Anonymous said...

I need help with LadyLike Lace Gloves from the book "The Happy Hooker" Page 244, starting at the Palm of glove, Row 38. It says there are 26 sc at the end of the row. I have 35. I ripped it out many times and trying over and over, but I still end up with many more sc than 26. Please help me to finish this project. I even started a second one to see if I could end up right the second time but they're both the same and I've stuck on both at the same place.
Thank you, I hope you can find out what I'm doing wrong and why I do not understand the directions.
Thanking You Kindly, Rita Parker

bittenbyknittin said...

rita, the pattern for the Ladylike Lace Gloves is full of errors. SnB has a list of errata, or you can go to mk carroll's blog for the corrected pattern.

To find links to the corrections, search bittenbyknittin for "ladylike lace gloves".

Good luck!