Sunday, May 15, 2016

What we won't do for our grandchildren

I think I have never been so happy to be done with a knitting project as I am with this one. Doll clothes are too fiddly, almost as bad as baby bootees. By far the worst part, though, was all the freaking eyelash yarn. Fun Fur is not fun at all.


Pattern: Curious Cat, by Nicky Epstein
Yarn: Lion Brand Fun Fur Stripes, in 'Cotton Candy' (and when I ran out of that, 'Soft Pink'), Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Solids, in 'White' and 'Raspberry'
Needles: US6 and US8
Modifications: See below.


I had some trouble with the instructions and left a note on Ravelry for the designer, but there was no response. I closed the mitts and paws with kitchener stitch, used kfb for increases, and performed "jogless jogs" when changing colors. Also, I could not imagine sewing snaps into Fun Fur, much less see my g'daughter getting them to work. The torso was a bit snug anyway, so I added bands for buttons and button holes, picking up about 30 stitches per side and sewing on 6 buttons.


My g'daughter wants the matching bonnet, mitts, and tail, but I told her I needed a break from Fun Fur. There is another pattern in Enchanted Knits for Dolls she also wants, but I also need a break from doll costumes. A L-O-N-G break.

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

Very cute, but fun fur is a disaster to work with, those long lashes get stuck up in thte stitches like crazy.
Hugs,
Meredith