Tuesday, November 22, 2022

A weekend away

Between divorces and in-laws (and outlaws), planning for holidays is a bit of a hassle. This year I suggested to my kids that we get together the weekend before Thanksgiving for "our" celebration, then they could do whatever with their various and sundry relatives. I rented a Vacation Rental By Owner (VRBO) in the Beach Walk community of Michigan City, where we out-of-towners stayed. My plan was to do no cooking, and I didn't (if you don't count the microwave popcorn). Hiking occurred, despite the low temps and high winds, plus outlet shopping and lively UNO playing. It was a fun two days. I took knitting, but didn't actually do any knitting, that's how busy we were. (Here's a pic of a wallhanging in the Troll Den where we stayed.)


Knitting: The white Graham hat experienced a setback when I realized I had forgotten to change needle sizes after the ribbing. I'm caught up now, though.
Spinning: More thin spinning, this time a mystery fiber that I think is an angora blend. I'm also trying a backward draw instead of my usual forward draw.
Weaving: The gray soumak weaving is off the loom, time to finish off the selvages.


The Handweavers Guild of America has a weekly online program called Textiles and Tea. Last Tuesday I listened to Annie MacHale, author of two inkle weaving books, discuss her specialty, and it was good. If you have a spare hour at 4pm EST, log on and give it a listen. (It's also a good excuse to just sit and knit while being entertained.)

No comments: