Saturday, November 26, 2022

Just let it go

I posted about hoping to get all my looms warped before my shoulder surgery, but that ain't gonna happen. So then I thought maybe I could at least empty some looms and finish some weaving and knitting, but after today, I realize even that may not happen. What gets done gets done. Just let it go.

Knitting: Still working on the white 'Graham' slouchy hat. I started the crown today, but dropped some stitches while switching from circular needles to DPNs. I hope to get that back on track and finished by Tuesday night.
Spinning: The first ounce of the mystery fiber spun up really nicely, the second one not so much. I stopped after about a quarter of the way through, flummoxed over what the problem might be. Then I realized I may have been working with the roving backwards. Wool has scales, so sometimes it matters which end of the rope one starts with. I may get this spinning done, plied, and off the bobbin by Tuesday night.
Weaving: Following some instructions for a pieced poncho in Weave, Knit, Wear (by Judith Shangold), I started knitting together two pieces of woven fabric, to make a lap robe. But the number of stitches I picked up from one half does not match the number from the other. This project is not going to be finished before surgery. I also worked on one selvage of the soumak weaving, also not going to be finished by my self-imposed deadline.

I'm not big on social media (and just deleted my Twit account), but I started following @gardenercook on Instagram. I struggle with color, and her daily exercise of using watercolor to match the colors she finds in nature has me intrigued. I've been wanting to do something similar, but didn't know how to get started. It turns out she wrote a how-to book, which I ordered through ThriftBooks.


Next Tuesday's Handweavers Guild of America Textiles and Tea features Sheila Hicks. (Squee!!!) If you can't watch at 4pm EST, you can watch a recording of the interview online, either through HGA or FB.

No comments: