Saturday, November 12, 2022

More fine spinning

This past week, I gave some New Zealand Romney top a spin, in search of a fine 2-ply. My technique still needs some work. I backed off the 14:1 ratio to 11:1, which worked better, but the result (14-16 WPI) was not quite as fine as the Corriedale (18 WPI). Ideally, I'd like to spin faster but feed in the yarn faster as well? Still finding my way.



Knitting: I finished the pink 'Graham' slouchy hat; separate post to follow. I started a white version of the same pattern. If you have a short skein (at least 75 grams) that you want to use up, I recommend this pattern.
Spinning: See above. I've also been trying to clear some bobbins of Shetland I spun quite a while back.
Weaving: I've made some progress on a wall hanging that uses super bulky merino woven in soumak.

The countdown to shoulder surgery has begun. I'm really looking forward to being able to weave on my inkle loom again. I thought about warping every loom I have, in anticipation of the day I can weave without pain, but that takes a bit of planning and time is running out. We'll see.

No comments: