Wednesday, April 05, 2023

Plain weave scarf, or the scarf that grew

I didn't take notes when I warped the loom for this scarf, but I'm pretty sure I was aiming for something five or maybe even six feet long. Instead, it turned out to be seven feet long, although it seems longer, maybe because of the fringe. My theory is I am so used to weaving with cotton warp that I cranked the loom too tight and stretched out the yarn. The fabric feels stiff, but some fiber friends assured me it was okay.


Pattern: none
Weave structure: plain weave
Loom: Ashford rigid heddle 24"
Warp: Cascade 220 Heathers, in colorway 9408 'Truffle Heather'
Weft: Cascade 220 Heathers, in colorway 9408 'Truffle Heather'
EPI/PPI: 7.5/7.5 stretched to 12
Ends: 50
Finished size: 5.5" x 84" (without fringe)

This project was my first post-surgery one, and I was delighted to be able to weave for an hour straight with no pain. The selvages were a bit ragged at first, but I quickly found my groove (for the most part) after a couple of inches.


I used Amy D. McKnight's hybrid warping method and Sara Goldberg's tying on method, both of which I recommend. I don't think I ever had such an even warp in my brief career as a weaver.

No comments: