Sunday, April 02, 2023

I can't keep up

There are so many things I want to do that I sometimes think it would be helpful if we had another lockdown. Then I could just stay home and do fiber.

So I haven't finished, let alone installed, the Freedom Roller I mentioned last time. I haven't installed the double-heddle kit, let alone warped the rigid heddle with two heddles yet. I haven't finished the socks, primarily because I hate purling. I haven't blogged about the scarf. Where does the time go?

Knitting: I have about 10 rounds to go on the socks before binding off. The L-Bag is on its third (out of 13) colors.
Spinning: I finished spinning the Polish merino - and bought some more of the roving. I plied the silk/merino/tencel blend singles because I was out of bobbins; I liked the singles better (which I neglected to photograph), so I plan to chain ply the second braid (which I started spinning).


Despite the (slightly) warmer temperatures, I have this urge to knit a sweater. I checked these two books out of our local library, to see if any of the patterns called my name. Several are intrigueing, but. I barely wore any of my sweaters last winter, so maybe I should hit pause on this idea. For now.


One thing I did accomplish is have my SO help me sort through some of the natural dyed skeins I have, combining some for future projects. Each skein is about 25g, so three should make a cowl or hat; the 6-skein group should be enough for a scarf. I don't have any patterns picked out yet.






I just finished a book called Unraveling, by Peggy Orenstein. The author found herself just short of age 60, facing an empty nest and a father with dementia, during the pandemic, and, oh, by the way, the part of California she lives in is burning. A lifelong knitter, she decides to do the sheep-to-sweater thing, to maintain her sanity. So she learns to shear a sheep, scour the fleece, spin the wool into yarn, dye the yarn with natural dyes, and finally knits a sweater that is too bulky and warm for northern California. Along the way, she explores topics like fast fashion and aging and such. This is not a how-to book, but it is an eye-opener. And entertaining to read.

No comments: