Sunday, April 09, 2023

Potholder and a bucket list

In preparation for a program I am leading on weaving for the spinning guild, I dug out a potholder loom I purchased many eons ago, when my granddaughter was young enough to maybe be interested in using it (she wasn't) and made a potholder. Unlike plastic potholder looms, this one is made of wood and cotter pins; the latter help keep the yarn loops in place while you weave. I purchased this one from Homestead Weaving Studio when we were in that neck of the woods.


I don't care much for the loops that came with the kit (they are left over from sock manufacturing), but I did manage to make a potholder, in hounds tooth, using a pattern "wizard" from Harrisville Designs that may be found here. Too bad I didn't check for floats before taking the potholder off the loom.


I see Harrisville sells potholder looms and loops as well, if you are interested.

Knitting: I finished the socks; separate post to follow. The L-Bag is on its fourth color.
Spinning: Still working on the silk/merino/tencel blend.
Weaving: Played with potholder weaving (as described above). And I applied Minwax to the Freedom roller parts and the double heddle kit.

The owner of Tabby Tree Weaver led a workshop for our weaving guild a while back. While I did not take the workshop, I did attend her talk the night before. One thing she said that has stuck with me is, now that she had retired from her "day job", she planned to tackle her bucket list of weaving.

I'm retired. Here is my fiber bucket list. (Subject to change.)

Dyeing:
  • With mushrooms
  • With lichens
  • Precipitate natural dye from the dye bath
Weaving:
  • Double weave
  • Weave with two heddles
Spinning:
  • Chain-ply
  • Core spinning
Projects:
  • Weave rugs from tee shirts
  • Weave rugs with all the rug yarn I have
  • Weave rugs from "rags"
  • Weave with "plarn" (yarn made from plastic bags)

Do you have a fiber bucket list? I'd love to hear about it.

No comments: