Saturday, July 01, 2023

Judge me

Last Sunday I picked up my entries to the county fair. Monday a fiber friend who had also entered items in the fair called to complain about the judging. For each item entered, we receive a ribbon and comments from the judges. Sometimes the comments make sense, other times they don't. My friend won best-in-show for one of her entries, but the ribbon was attached to the wrong item. I won best-of-show for one of mine, but when I looked through the comments, there was no mention of it, so now I wonder if I received someone else's ribbon. And one of my items received a red ribbon instead of the usual blue, but I have no idea what that means.

Knitting: I'm past the increase rows on the Lempi sweater.
Weaving: I made some progress on the rag rug. The inkle loom is warped.


I was still second-guessing my choice for an inkle pattern, and ended up selecting one from Anne Dixon's book, The Weaver's Inkle Pattern Directory. The pattern I chose is called "single flowers" and has three columns of flowers. What I didn't notice was one of the columns was offset from the others, and not the center one.


I ended up modifying the pattern so all three columns line up.


It's been a while since I have woven on the inkle, so I had to refresh my memory by accessing how-to's. That didn't prevent me from screwing up a time or three. It took two days and a lot of patience, but I finally succeeded.


Now I have four looms warped, and I may warp one more, the 24" rigid heddle, so I can try out the Freedom Roller. And I may warp the SampleIt and weave loopy washcloths; they are my favorite and I have only one.

Have a warped week!

No comments: