Friday, October 20, 2023

Timberlane Cowl

This example of colorwork uses a technique I have not encountered before. Instead of working two colors in one row, the knitter knits one color, slipping the stitches that are reserved for the other color; then knits the other color, slipping the first color's stitches. So one knits each round twice? That's how it felt. That method was easier than holding a yarn in each hand and working them both at once, but I'm not sure it's better.


Initially, knitting with my usual hybrid method (yarn held in my right hand) produced a fabric that was too tight, so I switched to continental knitting, holding the yarn in my left hand - I can't maintain tension knitting this way, so the stitches were looser.


Pattern: Timberlane Cowl by Eileen Lee
Yarn: sport weight merino from Wabash Woollen Works
Needles: US4
Modifications: None to speak of

For some reason, both the beginning and the end of the project have jogs in them. Usually, weaving in ends eliminates these, so I'm not sure what I did wrong. They aren't too noticable, are they?


After knitting but before soaking, I tried on the cowl. It was very snug, reminding me why I no longer wear turtleneck tops. After a good soak, the stitches relaxed somewhat, so it was more comfortable. It's short enough that it could serve as a "dickie".


If I were to knit this pattern again, I might try working both colors at once. Also, I would go up a needle size, at least for the body. And make it longer, so it can cover one's nose.

No comments: