Saturday, September 14, 2024

Saved by the swatch

The pattern I want to base the basketweave sweater on is basically reversible. But stripes are not reversible, as I realized when I tried swatching them, so I'm cool on that idea. In fact, I'm now leaning toward buying new yarn for the sweater. Maybe.

Which reminds me of my fiber goals for the year. The "Buy no fiber" one didn't last long. Finishing a poncho I started a LONG time ago has not happened... yet (hope springs eternal). And I didn't dye any roving, which I'm thinking is not a good idea anyway because it is difficult to dye roving at home without felting it.

The tee shirts for the spinning guild have been delivered... mostly. Not all those who ordered them attended the last meeting, so I still have a few. I'm glad I ordered several extra ones, as they were snatched up. I have to admit I am not in love with the color of the lettering, as I think it is difficult to read across the white, but others liked it.


Knitting: I finished the pocket square, which is more like a pocket rectangle. Now all I need to do is felt the square and the L-Bag (once I catch up on the laundry). The Big Foot socks are under way - great TV knitting.
Spinning: Did I spin this week? Probably some, working with the maroon merino top.

Surprisingly, there are several local opportunities to see fiber arts in the wild this month. By "wild" I mean in exhibits. The Orchard Gallery is featuring one of our weaving guild members who not only weaves, put "paints" with felted fiber and practices "ice dyeing". I bought one of her scarves.

Another weaving guild member is participating in an exhibit in the gallery at the downtown branch of our local library system. She is a member of Complex Weavers, and it shows.

One of the current exhibits at ArtLink features four(!) fiber artists. I wish we could have attended the panel discussion they had after the opening. Too bad they did not record it.


Notice the swatch on the right!

I've been playing around with the idea of loading all my yarn and roving into big totes and storing them in the garage, to free up space in the spare bedrooms. Of course, each bin would have to have a manifest so I could find stuff. Or would the stored fiber just be forgotten?

No comments: