Saturday, August 15, 2026

"Idle" Saturday

For once I had nothing scheduled for today, so I started a purple basil dye bath, wet finished the Neapolitan scarf, and finished the weaving of the clasped weft towel experiment.

What experiment, you say? Well, it occurred to me that I really like weaving on the SampleIt loom, but it is only 9.5" wide, limiting its usefulness. But what if I did something like I do on my 24" loom: weave two halves of something and sew them together? Hence, the clasped weft towel experiment.

At the weaving study group, when I asked what others would like to learn about next, someone said "double width weaving". It took me a minute to figure out what they were talking about. Then came the DUH moment - I could weave double width on the SampleIt. It takes two heddles of the same size, plus some pick up sticks. Once the loom is warped, the process is repeating just four steps. I'm eager to try it.

Dyeing: 900g of purple basil in three gallons of water, "cooked" for an hour.


Knitting: The Quirky socks are at the cuffs; listening to an audio version of the novel Slow Horses.
Spinning: Still working on the murky roving; I ran out of bobbins, so had to chain-ply some of it. I'm spinning yellow roving on the Fold e-spinner; I think I need a different power pack, as mine does not seem to have enough voltage - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Weaving: The clasped weft towel is off the loom; the two halves are surprisingly equal.


This week I tendered my resignation as president of the spinning guild, effective at the end of the year. Technically, I could serve another year before stepping down, but one year was enough for me. Instead, I volunteered to be vice president, as that person is in charge of programming. I'm planning a kind of "Sheep to Shawl University" series, with the old guard (OG) as the faculty. The guild has a lot of younger, less experienced members, and we oldsters want to pass on some of our knowledge.

No comments: