Friday, March 20, 2009

Practice makes practice

I have been diligently practicing my spindling, working my way through the roving that came with my spindle kit. This is what my coffee table looked like this past week.



Today it is a little better, but not much. I concentrated on keeping the results even, which means I lost sight of making it thin.



The result is 100 grams of super bulky yarn that I think will become a hat.



Or something.

This week I have been so busy, both at work and at home, that little knitting has been going on. But I am making a some progress on the Fools Rush socks.



The yarn is some early product from Yarn Daze, and while I like the semi-solid colors (this one is "Crabapple"), I am not very happy with the yarn splices. I'm used to sock knitting that is uninterrupted by knots, but that has not been my experience with the current skein. Yarn splices are not deal-breakers, but I prefer to do without. To be fair, the Hedgerow socks were knit from Yarn Daze yarn as well, and I don't remember there being any splices in that skein. Maybe it is just a case of bad yarn-ma.

1 comment:

Shea said...

Good job on the spinning! It takes a while to get to where you can have both thin and even yarn. Took me forever and I still have problems with it. Now though, I have more trouble trying to get a thicker yarn again. I spent so much time training my hands to get the thin singles and now I can't get them trained to make fatter singles. :sigh: