Monday, March 10, 2014

Not the usual cast of characters

After reading the latest from Clara Parkes, I wasn't sure I wanted to read another book of knitting stories, but Knitting Yarns (edited by Ann Hood) is a refreshing change of pace. All of the contributors are writers but most are not knitting writers, and some are not even knitters. There were a few knitting-as-metaphor bits, but mostly the collection focuses on how, one way or another, knitting impacted their lives.

Many of the names are familiar: Barbara Kingsolver, Hope Edelman, Elizabeth Berg, Sue Grafton, Jane Smiley, etc. This book became my bedside reader, the one I reached for when I wanted a little finite something to read before sleep. And there were patterns!

Which brings me to my only complaint about this book: no pictures, not even line drawings, to go with the patterns. To see them, you have to go to the designer's website. Otherwise, this book is a pleasant diversion.

No comments: