Saturday, February 01, 2020

A little progress

I saw my ortho doctor this past week. The x-rays look good, but I am still not putting my full weight on that leg. After the appointment, I realized my leg doesn't hurt when I to try to put weight on it; instead, it feels like the leg won't support me. So I have been putting a little extra oomph into my exercises, to make sure I am engaging the muscles in that leg and hip, especially when doing exercises that use both legs. Also, I think I have been overly dependent on the cane. After just a few days of using it less and less, I am able to get around the house without the cane and with very little limping. Progress!

Knitting: I felted the L-Bag. It was too big to put inside a pillowcase, so I was hoping the filter in the washing machine wouldn't plug up. (According to the manual, it is self-cleaning.) Lambs Pride yarn is purported to be good for felting, and felt it did, but the bag came out really fuzzy. The fuzz was enhanced by blue lint from one of the old towels I added to the mix. Ugh! I spent quite a while trimming the result with scissors. All that convinced me to purchase some nice leather handles for the bag instead of knitting up i-cord.
Spinning: Still working on the Shetland. There is a good article by Jill Moreno on the Mason Dixon site about "grist" - how dense yarn is.
Weaving: I think I worked on the tote bag this week, maybe once?
Dyeing: Two of us from the weaving guild are preparing a presentation for the March meeting about natural dyeing. We met up this week to discuss just what we are going to talk about. She weaves mostly baskets, dyeing the reeds with walnut husks. Our experiences are very different - even our collection of dye books is different - so it should be a halfway decent presentation.

I can't believe it is February already. One sure sign January is over is the tax documents are rolling in. That, and it is gray, gray, gray in Fort Rain, Windiana.

No comments: