Friday, February 28, 2020

Fiber friends are the best

One of my fellow fiber bloggers offered to send me "some fiber". For free. Of course, I said, SURE! What arrived was MUCH more than I expected. Thanks, Qutecowgirl!

Lone Star Arts merino 'Neapolitan'

I think it was Qutecowgirl who first turned me onto dyeing yarn, with her adventures using Kool Aid.

Blue Moon Fiber Arts Sheep to Shoe 'Jailhouse Rock'

Most of the spinning I do is with undyed wool, which quite frankly gets a bit monotonous. Now I have some colors to experiment with. Fractal spinning, anyone?

Timbre Ridge Farm merino

Some of these fibers come from Rhinebeck, a fiber fest I have yet to attend.

Timbre Ridge Farm merino

The label on this chunk from Lorna's Laces specifies that the fiber is for spinning. I am guessing they had some disappointed knitters who got home and discovered their purchase was not ready for the needles. Sort of like accidentally buying whole bean coffee when you don't own a grinder.

Lorna's Laces Shepherd Wool Top superwash merino 'Devon'

Corriedale is one of my faves.

Paradise Fibers Corriedale Cross

I have a Jacob fleece in the garage, waiting for a good scour. Now I have a bit of fiber to play with while getting up the gumption to attack that fleece.

Jenny Jump Farm Jacob

This bit of bright yellow orange is from one of my spinning guild pals. Laura had purchased some roving that turned out to be a bit felted. I loaned her my hand carders so she could fluff it up. She paid me back with a sample of the resulting fiber.


I too have shared fiber with friends. In one instance, the friend was knitting prayer shawls using acrylic and eyelash yarn. I decided I was done with both of those fibers, so it all went from my stash to hers. I hope it sparked joy!

3 comments:

Qutecowgirl said...

You are very welcome! Enjoy!

I also got a kick out of the label. Maybe someone did try to knit it. :)

Qutecowgirl said...

Really. I did!?!. I remember dying yarn with my kids. It really was a lot of fun.

I might just have to do it again with my Mj he is definitely old enough.

Mereknits said...

Yarn friends are the best, they are always so generous. Love your wonderful gifts.