Saturday, January 07, 2023

Milestones

After surgery, there are milestones one is happy to reach: the day I could stop wearing compression stockings, the appointment where they remove the staples, and this past week, the news I can stop wearing the immobilizer. No more velcro straight jacket! Even though my shoulder is still rather useless, it is *great* to have two hands again. And I can drive now, too. More freedom.

The doctor okayed knitting (but not much else for a few weeks), so I immediately went home and picked up 'Graham', the slouchy hat I was working on over a month ago. Knitting involves micro-movements of the shoulder, which is surprisingly tiring when one hasn't knit for a while. Each day I can do a bit more than the day before, though.


Six weeks of *active* (as apposed to passive) physical therapy is another milestone to strive for. I'm anxious to get back to normal (or as normal as I can be), but I'm also being careful. No sense undoing the surgeon's wonderful work.

Stay warm!

No comments: