Sunday, March 26, 2023

Rigid heddle weavers don't need no stinkin' harness looms

I have been debating whether to get a harness loom. One reason is, I'd like to weave projects wider than the 24" that my largest rigid heddle loom allows. Also, I'd like to be able to do some fancier weaving, like twill. Then there is all that rug yarn and old sheets and tee-shirts that I have accumulated, with the intent of weaving rugs.

BUT. Instead of another loom, what I decided to get are some accoutrements for my rigid heddle. One item is the Freedom Roller, which will allow me to maintain a shed while weaving thicker items like rugs. Also, a second heddle kit (and more heddles) will allow me to double weave (double the width of the weaving). Being able to use a second heddle will also convert the rigid heddle loom, which is basically a two-harness loom, to a four-harness one (with a little trickery). These items are on their way, so we'll see just how well my expectations are met.

Knitting: I have barely started the cuffs on the socks, so of course I started a new knitting project, another L-Bag, in Knit Picks Wool of the Andes, left over from a knitted vest and a woven lap robe.
Spinning: Still working on the Polish merino; lovely to spin.
Weaving: The scarf came off the loom and is finished, twisted fringe and all; separate post to follow.

Do you follow anyone on IG? One artist I have added to my short list is Kaci Smith. Among other things, she makes branch weavings, which is just what it sounds like: weaving across the fork of a branch. Very intriguing!

No comments: