Sunday, March 05, 2023

Spin-in inspiration

Yesterday some fiber friends and I attended the monthly spin-in at Little Shop of Spinning. Last month, I purchased some fiber, which I started spinning yesterday. I think it will become cowls as it is so-o-o soft. And pretty.

The yarn is in shades of gray, not blue

Last month I saw some Polish merino I wanted to purchase, but decided to wait, and if the fiber was still there the next time I visited the shop, I would purchase some. Well, it was still there, so I bought an ounce of each of four colors that look like they will go together well.

Names are, from upper left and clockwise, warm beige, pumpkin spice, bronze, and coral

A handknit hat at the shop drew much admiration from us, so Phia dug out the pattern. It's from a book called Hip Knit Hats, by Cathy Carron, and there happened to be a copy at my local library branch, so I picked it up on the way home.


I don't usually read pattern books, but these patterns were so unique, I had to see what the author had to say. I'm glad I did because I ran across this unofficial chart of how to combine yarns to make other sizes of yarn:


This chart will be useful when putting together yarns for anything, but especially for the patterns in this book. The two I like the best are:


Since my usual fiber project recipients have said, No more dishcloths or blankets!, they may have the opportunity to pick out some hats in the future.

Knitting: I"m practicing project monogamy and sticking with the socks as I march up the leg, although I have a list of what to knit next.
Spinning: The mystery fiber is off the wheel; I just need to label it and decide what it will become. As noted above, I have started spinning the silk/merino blend with tencel.
Weaving: I have been trying to knit together the two panels of the random blanket, but I keep screwing up. Third (or fourth) time is the charm, though, right?

One of my fiber friends mentioned Modern Daily Knitting. Only today did I realize she meant what was previously known as Mason Dixon Knitting. I used to follow them and may have to start again. So many patterns, so little time!

No comments: