Sunday, July 28, 2024

No good deed goes unpunished

This past week, one of my fiber friends and I demonstrated spinning at the Salomon Farm farmers market. The Salomon Farm gardeners expressed the wish to get rid of boxes of "weaving supplies" that were in their shed. Of course I volunteered to take them off their hands, mostly out of curiousity over what could possibly be in those boxes.

While loading the boxes into my car, the head gardener warned me there would probably be evidence of mice in them. So yesterday I dumped out the boxes in the driveway. Not only were there mouse turds, there were several mouse nests (uninhabited, fortunately) and the boxes smelled like mouse urine. (I have had a white rat and hamsters as pets, so I recognize that smell.)

And the weaving supplies were all for basket weaving, something I have no desire to learn. I "advertized" them to guild members on FB, but so far, no real interest. And there are a LOT of supplies. I'll press the guild members a bit more, but if still no takers, I will offer them up for free on FB or donate them to some organization.

Knitting: Almost ready to turn the heels on the socks. Working on the bottom of the L-Bag.
Spinning: I spun a lot at the farmers market, working on one color of a three-color braid.
Weaving: For the farmers market, I warped about ten small branches for weaving, in case any of the kids wanted to try, but the spinning wheels are what captured everyone's attention.


As I approach the end of yet another felted bag, I'm in a quandary of sorts. My fiber friends who have made L-Bags have had them lined by another fiber friend who is also an accomplished sewist. I may want to enter my bags in the county fair and feel that having someone else line them would not be appropriate. I am NOT much of a sewist, but I considered trying to line them myself. The L-Bags are rather large, though, and more like project bags. What to do?

Well, one idea I am toying with is to felt a couple of knitted squares and needlefelt them onto the bags to serve as pockets, some inside, some outside. Or I could sew a purse insert that could move from bag to bag. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

ErinFromIowa said...

I like the sounds of the uniquely you creative ideas for finishing your bag. 👍🍀