Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Who Moved My Needle?

Yesterday, during a lull at work, I reached for the gray legwarmers, but one DPN was missing. I pawed through my knitting bag and all its pockets, but no luck. The night before I photographed the project, though, so I checked that day's blog entry. Sure enough, the errant needle poked out of the yarn ball. But where was it now? Sitting on the coffee table. Guess it did not want to go to work.

Today I did not go to work. Yesterday was one of those I-need-a-happy-pill days, plus I seemed to have chills. Since the AC at work is usually cranked too high, I did not realize that the chills were a symptom of a fever until I arrived home where the AC is off but I still had chills. This morning I could not muster the energy to get out of bed, so today became an official Sick Day.

Between naps, I did get a little knitting done. Here is the current state of the baby kimono.



I worked on it until I couldn't stand working with cotton yarn anymore.

Then the mail carrier brought this, from Simply Socks:



And this (post swift):



Yes, I broke down and bought some Schaefer Yarn. I don't know what the Heather will become, but the Anne in "Powder Puff" pink is for a shawl, from the June 4 entry from my 2007 Knitting Pattern A Day Calendar.



I think there is something wrong with the pattern, though. The instructions state "Row 22: K3, place marker, *knit, YO, k2tog; repeat from * to last 2 sts, k2. Repeat row 22 until shawl measures...." This just doesn't make sense to me, because if you take the instructions literally, you would be shifting markers back and forth from row to row. I tried knitting row 22 for both the RS and WS without moving the markers, but the fabric felt too loose. So I made the executive decision to add a row 23 of knit stitches and repeat rows 22 and 23 until whenever.

I Googled "Anne Lacy Shawl" and while others have knit this shawl, none of them mention having a problem with the directions for row 22. Maybe they are all experienced enough to know what to do despite the pattern's confusion.

Or am I the one that is confused?

2 comments:

Jill said...

Wish I could help you with your shawl issue, but I haven't done that one. :( Had to tell you that I LOVE the baby kimono!! It looks great--I will have to check out the Mason-Dixon book. You've inspired me! ;)

Qutecowgirl said...

The kimono is looking great!! I love the color. I too wish I could help you with the shawl.

I hope you feel better soon. Take it easy and do not push yourself = )