Thursday, September 27, 2007

Variegated Yarn Dilemma

Much as I like variegated yarn, it doesn't always translate well to textured knitting. Case in point: I used the Elmore-Pisgah Peaches 'n Creme "Peppermint" cotton yarn to make a dishcloth from a pattern free from Lion Brand, and while the results are okay, the texture of the dishcloth is obscured by the variegation in the yarn.



While contemplating this issue, I reread the pattern description, which said the dishcloth is made with a "simple seed stitch." Huh? I took a closer look at my dishcloth, but I saw no seed stitch, simple or otherwise. I reread the directions several times and came to the conclusion that there is an error in them: if you k1, p1 across an even number of stitches on the RS, then repeat the k1, p1 on the WS, you get ribbing, not seed stitch. And just to prove my point, when I finished the Peppermint, I cast on another dishcloth using an odd number of stitches. Yep, now I have seed stitch.



Of course, you can't really see what I am talking about from these photos. I really need to work on my picture-taking skills. One good hint my daughter gave me is to use a white background, to make the subject pop. BTW, this lovely yellow is Lion Cotton "Sunflower".

Meanwhile, I continue to buy yarn. The vintage handbag came out so nice that I decided to make the other handbag described in the pattern from Glamour Knits, using Colinette Yarns Giotto in "Velvet Leaf" (purchased through Flying Fingers).



The hank was a bit big for my swift, though, and toward the end of winding, I foolishly took it off the swift, thinking it would be easier that way.



Wrong! It took me hours to undo this mess, but I am nothing if not persistent.



This yarn is an example of why I frequently seek out the exact yarn specified in a pattern. I would not have picked this yarn off the shelf, and with a fiber content of cotton, rayon, and nylon and its hand dyed "colourway" (it's made in Wales), the yarn has special needs. But I think it will make a lovely handbag nonetheless.

No comments: