Monday, January 21, 2008

Mass Ave Knit Shop

My NDP (Non-Domestic Partner - much more descriptive than SO) and I decided to get out of town for the day, so we drove down to Indy yesterday. And, as is my MO, I found me a yarn shop to visit while we were "in the area" - Mass Ave Knit Shop. This is like the only LYS I know of anywhere that is open on Sunday. And let it be known that it is not on Mass Ave. And you enter through the back door. And it has lots of yarn, so I bought some.

This is Cascade Yarns Jewel Hand Dyed (color 9887), which are destined to become mittens for me, to go with my faux suede coat.



It is a bulky yarn of variable thicknesses, giving it a homespun appearance.

And this is Nashua Handknits Snowbird (color NSB.9155, aka "Blue"), which will become a thank-you gift for the neighbor across the street who has been keeping my driveway clear this winter.



It is 70% wool and 30% alpaca.

And I bought another skein of Cascade 220 Paints (color 9926), so I can make me a "bubble wrap" hat to match my Math Geek scarf.

And I checked out the Kaffe Fassett sock yarn, a special design line of Regia. I was hoping for a self-patterning sock yarn, one that would produce socks that looked like a granny square afghan or crazy quilt. But the yarn is basically self-striping, in either "landscape" or "mirage" motif. Lovely colors, but I passed it up.

A lot of the yarn in Mass Ave was what I think of as "novelty" yarn, but beyond the usual eyelash and ribbon. I will plead ignorance on what these yarns are like to knit, and what one makes with them. Maybe someone can clue me in?

While in the shop, I overheard one of the employees talking about how he was demonstrating spinning at the library when someone told him they had read about him on Ravelry. Well, he wanted to know what Ravelry was and, more importantly, what they were saying about him. I clued him in to Ravelry, but I neglected to get his name, so I don't know what they were saying about him either.

After Mass Ave, we went to the Indiana State Museum, which didn't have anything fiber related... yet. Check it out!



And if you time your visit right, you can see this at the same time:



Mark your calendars!

And now, the finished dog sweater. I had to adjust the leg holes, and I resewed the seams with a mattress stitch. It tends to ride backwards, though, so I may try to do something with the neck, to help keep it in place.



Betsy is wondering, "Does this sweater make me look fat?"

No comments: