Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Gift Drawer

Do you always knit for someone? Or do you sometimes knit with no specific recipient in mind? I do both, and the latter projects go into my gift drawer. Most of the gifts-in-waiting are baby items - bibs, burp rags, blankets, kimonos - to have on hand should the need arise for a little something for parents- or grandparents-to-be. There are a few "grown-up" things there as well.

A while back, I knit this neck warmer and these arm warmers. Last week they each left the gift drawer for new homes. The neck warmer went to the neighbor across the street who repeatedly cleared my driveway this winter. The arm warmers I gave to a young woman who was canvassing the neighborhood; she absentmindedly forgot that, once the sun went down, it would get cold (ah, to be 18 again!)

I guess we always knit for someone. Sometimes who is a surprise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is such a great idea! I have a whole binder (or two, or three) of things I want to make for someone - not sure who yet - and this is a great way to do it. Thanks! And also thanks for the birthday pep talk. It made me feel better about the whole thing.