Friday, April 04, 2008

Wabi-Sabi

A while back I read (somewhere) about a knitter who, the more she knit, the more of a perfectionist she became. For me, the exact opposite has happened. When I first returned to the needles, everything I made had to be perfect. I even laid awake at night, agonizing over every little slip or snag or uneven row or unmet gauge. Now that I have a few projects under my belt, I'm learning when it is appropriate to frog or tink and when it is best to shrug and carry on.

The socks I mentioned last time are the perfect example, in their imperfection. A mistake was made in the ribbing of the cuff, a mistake that is barely visible to the naked eye, a mistake that will dwell under a pant leg 95% of the time. Rip back ten rounds? I think not. Knit on!

Meanwhile, Sherri read my mind: I started the pinwheel sweater. If something is crying out to be knit, then why fight it? Besides, it gives me something to work on while I am waiting for the sun to shine, a prerequisite to picking up the Kidsilk Haze. Middle-age eyes need all the natural light they can get.

2 comments:

sherriknits said...

You know what's weird? I had that very conversation with someone today...when it is appropriate to tink or frog and when it is just fine to go on. I was telling a friend that I read how we think old-time knitters were so perfect, but actually, they had to knit for necessity and they left their mistakes in and that we should learn to relax and do the same. :)

Have you stopped by and entered my blogiversary contest? Thanks for the mention!

LizzieK8 said...

One of the issues, I think is that machine knit stuff looks so perfect, even sts, etc.

It's important to remember that machines imitate human made rather than humans imitating machine made.