Sunday, May 03, 2020

Everything takes so long!

I'm sure there are some crafts and hobbies out there that don't take months to reach a finished project, but apparently fiber arts is not one of them. Part of the problem is my aging body: 20 minutes of spinning, 30 minutes of knitting, 40 minutes of weaving (if that) are about all I can manage most days. Besides the need to get up and move, there are hip and shoulder exercises to do, dogs to walk, a too big house to clean, and now a yard that needs attention. Add to all that my tendency to procrastinate and to leave projects 50% to 95% done without closing the deal. I feel like I have nothing to show for all my efforts. But what else would I do? Twiddle my thumbs while I binge watch TV? No thanks. I'll just keep on keepin' on.

Knitting: Still working on the Ivy socks. I'm about a third of the way to the cuffs.
Spinning: Still working on the navy merino, although I am almost done with that color.
Weaving: Still haven't wrapped up the online class, but I have been practicing on my Saffron pocket loom.

I know some of you live where Covid-19 is still a major threat. Here in Indiana we are starting a 5-stage emergence from shelter-in-place. Last week, elective medical treatments became allowed, so my appointment for a teeth cleaning will go ahead as scheduled. This week, retail places and restaurants can operate at 50% capacity; there are some things I could use - walking shoes, a new dishwasher and garbage disposal, etc. - but I think they can wait a while. Next week, "high touch" businesses like hair salons can open, again at reduced capacity; I have a haircut and a massage scheduled. We are still supposed to wear masks and keep our distance as much as possible.

For me, it feels like "vacation" is over, time to get back to "work" even though I am retired and my day-to-day life has not been affected much. I hope people don't go crazy and ignore safety measures in their rush to get back to "normal". I think I will continue to avoid crowds for a while, just to be safe. Hope you all are safe!

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

We are opening up a bit slower but I live in Florida and it has many cases and deaths here so I think it is better to start slower. Still I think our governor has not thought it out and is leaving his murky instructions up to the mayors to decide what to do and what to open. As Florida deaths are still so high I am not sure nay opening is a good idea right now. Stay safe and well.