Tuesday, May 19, 2020

River Queen

It seems to me that the results of search engines (ahem, GOOGLE) are getting worse and worse. They are mostly ads and those ads rarely are even close to what one is looking for. Of course, maybe what I am looking for no longer exists? I'm talking about Timbre (or Timber?) Ridge Farms, the vendor of this merino fiber that was labeled "River Queen". I'd like to give credit where credit is due, but the source of this fine fiber will have to remain unknown.


Fiber: merino (superwash? top? we'll never know) in 'River Queen' - navy blue and burnt orange
Wheel: Ashford Joy2
Technique: nothing special
Spun: worsted, Z-twist at an 8:1 ratio
Plied: 2-ply, S-twist at an 11:1 ratio
WPI: 8-9 (between Aran and worsted weights)
Amount: 406 yards, 236 grams


I don't consider myself to be a master spinner by any means, but I am quite pleased with how this yarn turned out. The diameter is more uniform than I usually spin, and using two different ratios for the spinning and plying resulted in a perfectly balanced yarn. Woohoo!


I have to admit I became a little bored with spinning a generous 4 oz of navy, then another generous 4 oz of orange, but when I plied them together - WOW.


If there is a county fair this summer, I plan to enter a skein of this yarn, that is how proud I am of these results. I can't wait to knit up a swatch, as I think this would make a lovely hat/mitten/scarf combo. There should be enough, right?

No comments: