Monday, May 11, 2020

More practice hatching

I created a second practice piece on the Mirrix Saffron pocket loom. I used non-superwash wool for this one and worked from the front, just for a change. While I think the results are better lice-wise, the selvages need work and the fabric is not as flat as I had hoped. After one signs up for a class from Rebecca Mezoff, one gets access to a private Facebook page where there is lots of good advice from other beginners. Also, some of the "bonus" reading at the end of the course I took provided more helpful hints. So maybe the *next* practice piece will be even better.


Weaving from the front is actually a bit more difficult than weaving from the back because loose ends need to be tucked to the other side. I am going to return to weaving from the back, now that I see a definite advantage. I am also having trouble at the end of the piece, where there is not much room for "bubbling" the weft; that's another area needing improvement.

One way to improve is to weave every day. I find that is easier to do with this little loom, as I can complete a project in about a week. I'm less likely to get stalled and frustrated and overwhelmed, too. No matter what hobby you are starting, be it fiber or gardening or whatever, start small!

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

I think it looks wonderful, well done my friend.