Sunday, June 27, 2021

Inkled

I follow a blog called Inkled Pink. Not many recent posts but for a while the owner was posting "daily band practice". That's what inkle weaving is - the creation of warp-faced bands. My goal is to practice a bit every day, most recently trying to learn pick-up, but I still found our recent mini inkle workshop to be helpful.

Two members of my weaving guild have been supporting each other (mostly remotely) as they explore inkle weaving. Cindy and Phil (who insists he is *not* a weaver despite evidence to the contrary) showed a select group of us how to pick up both unheddled and heddled designs. I had (mostly) mastered unheddled but could not figure out the heddled version. Cindy demonstrated and I learned what I was doing wrong.

Yellow is unheddled, gray is heddled

The group hopes to get together again, as the 2.5 hours *flew* by.

Spinning: Despite running the red Tunis through the drum carder, not enough VM fell out - there is still a lot there, so the spinning continues to go slow. I'm afraid if I take a break from it to spin something else, I'll never make it back.
Weaving: Inkling (see above).

The pandemic may not be over, but it is starting to feel that way for me and mine. My granddaughter is not vaccinated yet, so still wears a mask indoors when we are out and about, and we have been out and about A LOT. She spent a week at "zoo camp", then attended a kids art class at PFW. She is spending Tuesdays with me (I sense a book coming from this: Tuesdays with Grandma) which means I transport her hither and yon. She is also taking tennis lessons through parks and rec, piano lessons through PFW, and now she is interested in chess! Yesterday we spent some time at the local chess club (and learned a few things), then visited Artlink to see the member show. She is 10 now and even more fun to be with. I don't know much about chess, but if we are going to play with any frequency, I will have to up my game (so to speak).

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

It sounds like Tuesday's with Grandma are perfect. Such a fun age and she can do so many interesting things. Have a wonderful week.