Saturday, June 19, 2021

The inkle hole

I'm enrolled in a mini workshop next Saturday, in executing pick-up on an inkle loom. Toward that end, I dragged out my already-warped inkle loom to practice with because I hate to feel unprepared. The inkle loom was warped from a previous practice session, but despite viewing a couple of YT videos, I managed to screw something up and could not advance the threads. I cut that bit off, then rewarped the loom... several times before I got it right. Today I found another warping error, but I think I can continue, at least for a while; I didn't position the part that loosens and tightens the warp correctly, so now I can't loosen it enough to slide the warp forward. We'll see how far I get before having to cut that warp off, too. Chalk it up to a learning experience, better now than in the workshop.

(As a knitter, I am used to preserving as much yarn as possible when working on a project, as sometimes the yarn is rather expensive. When the yarn is 8/4 carpet warp, however, I am wasting pennies, not dollars. Also, I save the waste to use as thrums.)


Spinning: More red Tunis, of course, but this week spun while sitting on the deck.
Weaving: Inkling (see above).

I took some UFOs to JoAnn to try to match material to line the bags and thread to hem a doll blanket. So many choices of fabric, most of them for quilting, it was paralyzing. Then there was the checkout line. Ugh. One thing I have no patience for anymore is standing in lines, especially if I have only a few things to purchase. I managed to find some thread at home I can use for the doll blanket. I supposed I can order the fabric online, then just pick it up at the store. Right now, I still feel rather paralyzed.

(A similar thing happened when shopping for a new dishwasher, but I took my daughter along and she helped me narrow the choices.)

2 comments:

ErinFromIowa said...

VivMomSews YouTube is a good source of information about ordering fabric, etc. online. She shows and handles her purchases. I just adore her fashion shows, sometimes featuring her hubby, children.

Mereknits said...

Good luck with your course it looks like fun. Joann's drives me crazy, there are never enough people helping to check out.