Sunday, February 03, 2008

I Must Be Sick

I finished up Jason's Thuja socks this morning (pix below), then cast about for something new to knit (ha ha - pun intended!) and could not think of anything. I already have some socks on the needle and nothing else came to mind, so I actually picked up some UFO's to work on. Gasp!

My original intention was to reseam parts of Elizabeth's outfit. The good thing about mattress stitch is it is invisible. That is also the bad thing, because I could not see where to pick out stitches. Figuring I would do more damage than good, I decided that, since Elizabeth is a doll, the knitting police are not going to arrest me for just letting the not-quite-right seams lay.

So I picked up falling leaves shawl. Remember that? I barely do. The last time I worked on it, the problem was how to graft the two halves together. Going further back in memory, we recall that since the falling leaves pattern has direction, I knit the shawl in two halves, so the leaves will fall from each shoulder. I researched different methods for joining the two halves, then today whimped out and just used kitchener stitch.



It may not be the "right" way or the best way, but I think it will look okay, once it is blocked.

Next problem was the edging. Some kind of lattice work seemed appropriate, so that is what I am experimenting with right now.



Again, I think it will look okay, once blocked.

Here are Jason's new socks:



Pattern: Thuja from Knitty
Yarn: Art Yarns Supermerino
Needle size: US6



Since the pattern called for three 50g balls of yarn, I was more generous with the cuff and leg than I might otherwise have been.



I love this yarn! It is soft and springy, with no funny spots. Everyone is going to want some Art Yarns socks.

3 comments:

Qutecowgirl said...

ooo i like the leaves!! I think it looks great!!

sherriknits said...

Wow...that is beautiful and the join looks great.

Love the socks, too! Great color.

Anonymous said...

Your Thujas are great! I hope the recipient appreciates them! Thuja was my first pair of socks so I'm always partial to them!